Convert a *.VHD with VMware Converter 4

image

I created a short movie about the process of converting a Microsoft VHD image into a VMware Virtual Machine VMware Converter 4 Standalone. You can download the VMware Converter 4 standalone version here: http://www.vmware.com/download/converter/

screencast

Due to problems with embedded movie players and a WordPress.com hosted blog, I can’t embedded the movie here. So click on the above picture or op the following url: VMware_Converter_4_Standalone_Convert_VHD

About these ads

13 Responses to Convert a *.VHD with VMware Converter 4

1. Pingback: Dugie’s Pensieve » Blog Archive » Convert a *.VHD with VMware Converter

2. Mike Groseclose says:

Thanks for the video. I tried to follow it. I selected Third Party virtual machine from the drop-down and pointed it to my Virtual PC file (.vmc). I get the following message:

the object or item referred to could not be found

Here are some statements from the log:

[2009-07-17 12:52:50.406 02652 error 'App'] SourceSelectPluginModel::BuildFilter 3rd party type microsoftVirtualPCVM not found
    [2009-07-17 12:52:50.406 02652 error 'App'] SourceSelectPluginModel::BuildFilter 3rd party type parallelsVM not found
    [2009-07-17 12:52:50.406 02652 error 'App'] SourceSelectPluginModel::BuildFilter 3rd party type vmwareVCBBackup not found
    [2009-07-17 12:52:50.406 02652 error 'App'] SourceSelectPluginModel::BuildFilter 3rd party type livestateBackup not found
    [2009-07-17 12:52:50.406 02652 error 'App'] SourceSelectPluginModel::BuildFilter 3rd party type shadowProtectBackup not found
    [2009-07-17 12:52:50.406 02652 error 'App'] SourceSelectPluginModel::BuildFilter 3rd party type acronisBackup not found
    [2009-07-17 12:52:50.406 02652 error 'App'] SourceSelectPluginModel::BuildFilter 3rd party type vmwareVM not found
    [2009-07-17 12:52:50.406 02652 error 'App'] SourceSelectPluginModel::BuildThirdpartyHostedExtVector 3rd party type vmwareVM not found
    [2009-07-17 13:02:40.140 02652 verbose 'ConverterFrontEnd'] Keep alive signal sent at: 2009-07-17 17:02:40.140
    [2009-07-17 13:09:28.953 02652 info 'ServerLoginSession'] Logging out of the Converter Server. (Session ID = “B323274C-C405-41F4-A9E1-1DD2ECE4B54C”)

Any thoughts? I googled it and nothing seemed to apply.

3. jens says:

Hi Mike,

I’ve got the same problem and found out that the path to the vmc file was to long. I’ve copied it to, for example, D:\temp and then it worked.

regards,
    Jens

4. Jeff says:

I had the same problem. The shorter filepath fixed it, thanks!

-Jeff

5. Mario says:

Hi,

your title says that Convert a *.VHD with VMware Converter 4

but in vmware converter there is no option to select VHD file

6. John says:

To convert a VHD you must create a VMC (virtual machine config) and convert that.

7. Erwan says:

Having trouble here. Hyper-V virtual machines are described in an xml file, no vmc here.
    Can you possibily be mixing hyper-v and vpc ?

8. Frank says:

Looking to run an existing xp pro 64 bit system as a virtual machine. Kind of tired of dual booting vista ultimate and xp pro (for some legacy work that I still have to maintain).

Since windows virtual pc 2007 doesnt support 64 bit os’s as guest (even though documentation I’ve seen shows it does) I figured I’d try vmware.

however, when I try to convert the vmc file over I get an “The object or Item referred to could not be found” message.

This happens regardless of a clean VM of xp pro 32 bit, or the converted over xp pro 64 bit.

I’ve also tried to conver the powered on machine directly and get a diffferent error about a network issue or something like that.

Any thoughts? I’ve also put the vmc file in my g:\virtualdisks\ directory since someone here suggested the path was too long….

Thanks

Frank

9. David Smith says:

How does one create the .VMC for a .VHD file?

10. Pingback: VPC to VMWare with sysprep « c# to javascript, actionscript

11. Pingback: 2010 in review « ICT-Freak.nl

12. zahelltemp says:

Dude you’re not showing how to “Convert a *.VHD with VMware Converter 4″ !!! You’re converting proper VirtualPC virtual machine, using *.VMC file!! Try converting just VHD file, and change your article’s title, don’t waste people’s time !

13. Abraham says:

Tried for P2V and got da same error.. any resolutions???