These are the steps to add a new hard drive using the cli:
- run fdisk –l. in this how toI will add device: /dev/sdb
- use cfdisk /dev/sdb to create a new partition:
3. Then again, run the fdisk –l commando to see the new patition. It has been changed to /dev/sdb1.
4. format the drive with EXT3: mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdb1
5. next you create a mount folder: mkdir –p /media/newdisk
6. mount the drive: mount /dev/sdb1 /media/newdisk/
7. the final step, add the new mount point to the /etc/fstab. If you don’t do this step, the new disk will not mounted at boottime. Open the /etc/fstab in your favorite editor. Add the following line: /dev/sdb1 /media/newdisk ext3 defaults 0 2
8. Reboot the debian machine to see if everything works as expected.
as you can see, everything went smooth.